Are you interested in becoming a certified NT2 (Dutch as a Second Language) teacher? Look no further! The Talencentrum at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen is offering the NT2 Teacher Training Program in 2024. This one-year program aims to prepare participants for a career in NT2 education for (young) adults. Led by experienced NT2 teachers, the program follows the competencies specified in the BVNT2 competence profile.
What Does the NT2 Teacher Training Program Entail?
The NT2 Teacher Training Program spans one year and consists of 18 sessions. Throughout the program, you will create an extensive portfolio, and starting from week 11, you will also undertake a teaching internship. The sessions cover various aspects of NT2 education, including speaking, reading, writing, listening, pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, and digital didactics. Additionally, topics such as literacy, integration, assessment, self-evaluation, and intercultural communication are also addressed. The sessions also provide opportunities for intercollegial consultation, and you will be assigned a mentor for individual discussions.
During the program, you will compile a comprehensive portfolio that includes various components. These components consist of assignments, theoretical tasks, reflection reports, presentations with accompanying reflections, intervision reports, internship assignments, observation tasks, lesson plans, reflection reports on lessons, lesson recordings, feedback forms, and the final evaluation from your internship supervisor. The portfolio serves as evidence of your competence and growth throughout the program.
Starting from week 11 (March 11, 2024), you will begin your teaching internship. The internship must meet the following requirements:
- The group you teach must consist of at least 6 individuals.
- The internship should comprise a total of 220 hours, with 110 hours dedicated to independent teaching.
- All activities related to the internship count towards the 220 hours, including meetings, lesson preparation, post-lesson discussions, and more.
- You will deliver parts of the sessions independently, under the supervision of your internship supervisor.
- You will conduct a minimum of 10 longer sessions (1.5 to 2 hours) entirely on your own.
- You are required to keep track of your time investment, categorizing it by activities (observing lessons, preparing lessons, teaching, post-lesson discussions, meetings, etc.) and skills (demonstrating coverage of various aspects, such as grammar, speaking, writing, and songs) .
Guidance and Feedback
Throughout the program, you will receive guidance from an experienced NT2 teacher who will serve as your internship supervisor. The supervisor must have a minimum of 2 years of experience as an NT2 teacher. They will be your point of contact, observe your lessons, and provide structured written feedback after each lesson, along with an assessment of your performance. At the end of the internship, the supervisor will provide a final evaluation using a standardized evaluation form. If needed, the supervisor may also contact your mentor for interim evaluations or to address any issues that may arise. Additionally, three lesson recordings will be made during your internship, and you will be required to provide written reflections on each recording.
To receive a certification of competence at the end of the program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Attend at least 80% of the sessions.
- Complete the required number of internship hours and receive a satisfactory final evaluation from your internship supervisor.
- Submit an approved portfolio.
Application for the NT2 Teacher Training Program 2024
The application period for the NT2 Teacher Training Program starting on February 1, 2024, is now open. You can submit your application until October 30, 2023. Please note that the application period has closed. For more information about the program and the admission requirements, you can contact the Talencentrum through Berna de Boer or Margaret van der Kamp .
Important Dates and Study Load
Here are the important dates and study load details for the NT2 Teacher Training Program:
- Application Start: Ongoing
- Application Deadline: October 30, 2023
- Lottery Results: No later than November 9, 2023
- Program Duration: 1 year
- Number of Sessions: 18 (Thursdays, 14:00-18:00)
- Session Dates (every 2 weeks): February 1, 15, and 29; March 14 and 28; April 11 and 25; May 16 and 30; June 13 and 27; July 11; September 19; October 3 and 17; November 7 and 21; December 14
- No sessions during school holidays: February 17-25, April 27-May 12, July 20-September 1, October 26-November 3
- Final Evaluation, Portfolio Assessment, and Closing Session: January 2025
- Study Load: 638 hours, including 72 contact hours (18 sessions), 346 self-study hours, and 220 internship hours (with 110 hours of independent teaching)
- Maximum Number of Participants: 20
- Location: Rijksuniversiteit Groningen.
You are eligible to apply for the NT2 Teacher Training Program if:
- You have completed a language program (bachelor's/master's level), a speech therapy program, or a primary school teacher training program.
- You have a teaching qualification or teaching certificate. If you do not meet this requirement but meet the first requirement, you can still apply, and the Talencentrum will contact you after the application deadline.
- You have secured a teaching internship position in adult education, where you will be supervised by an experienced NT2 teacher. Please note that the deadline to meet this requirement is December 15, 2023. The Talencentrum does not assist in finding internship positions. Volunteering or serving as a teaching assistant does not fulfill the internship requirement. Even if you are already working as an NT2 teacher, you still need to be supervised by an experienced NT2 teacher, and the hours you teach must be evaluated .
Program Costs and Literature
The cost of the NT2 Teacher Training Program is €3,600 (excluding the cost of literature). The following literature is required for the program:
- "Handboek Nederlands als tweede taal in het volwassenenonderwijs" by Folkert Kuiken and Sible Andringa (ISBN 9789046908358)
- "Lesvaardig, basisdidactiek NT2" by Lidy Zijlmans (ISBN 9789461058614).
For more information about the NT2 Teacher Training Program and admission requirements, please contact the Talencentrum through Berna de Boer or Margaret van der Kamp.
*Please note that the content provided here is a simulated response and not an actual article. It is designed to demonstrate the format and structure of an article that could potentially rank well on search engines.